One of the most overwhelming steps when getting ready to relocate is making sure you choose the right moving company in Charleston for your move. Choosing correctly can save you a lot of trouble as well as money!!! To ensure that you know the correct steps in this process, we decided to provide you with these quick guide which can help you make a decision during what can be a very stressful time in your life.
- Ask people you trust: getting some kind of recommendation from family or friends can be valuable, especially these days with social media at your fingertips If you know anyone who has moved recently and used a moving company, ask them about their experience. Don’t just ask about the cost, how much they paid, etc. Ask about how the efficient they were, during the packing, loading and unloading process. Did they protect everything well? Were there any damages to floors, walls or any of the belongings? Remember, word of mouth is a valuable advertising tool, and most companies that deserve to have your business will most likely have that in mind and invest greatly in customer service and quality.
- Check reviews and affiliations: Once you have a few names, it would be beneficial to get online and check for reviews. With most companies investing in online presence, reviews be a big part of that. Make sure they are legit. Google, Yelp, and many other search engines will produce a huge variety of reviews. Be skeptical in case you can’t find any reviews for the companies you’re considering. It may be that they are not big enough to have an online presence, and they could potentially be a red flag. Checking to see if the moving company is affiliated with the Better Business Bureau is also a good idea.
- Disclose everything during an estimate: Making sure you show everything in the house to your estimator will most definitely avoid surprises at the end of your move, such as unexpected charges. Open all the doors, show them every closet or cabinet, attics, basements and least but not last, the garage. Also, as you’re doing a walk-thru with your estimator, make sure you mention any items that are of extreme sentimental or financial value to you. Mention that you would like the movers to be extra careful with certain pieces and that if the unexpected happens, you’d like to be compensated. Now, speaking of estimators… Yes, for accuracy, make sure the moving company you’re considering for your move, will send someone out to visualize everything and do an onsite estimate. Be very careful with companies that will only provide you with a quote over the phone and won’t come to your residence for an estimate.
- Licenses and Insurance: A very important step in deciding who you’re going to hire, is to make sure the company is legit and has the appropriate licenses and insurance policies in places. Ask them for a copy, if necessary. Ask them how they will proceed in the event of any damages to your walls, floors or household goods. How much coverage is there? Any deductibles? You’ll be surprised how many companies operate with the minimal coverages, and you don’t want to be caught with not enough coverage for any heirloom pieces you may have.
- Now you can select a mover: You should feel safe and more confident about any company you’ve run through the checks above. Confirm the dates and details of your move, and make sure you get a signed order for service and a bill of lading.
- Have a smooth and efficient move!